Ph.D. in Education, current candidate
University of California – Davis (Davis, CA)
Emphasis in Language, Literacy, and Culture
Designated Emphasis in Writing, Rhetoric, and Composition Studies
M.A. in Twentieth Century Literature
Durham University (Durham, England)
B.A. in English (minor in Philosophy)
Baylor University (Waco, TX)
- Stewart, Mary K. (2015). Digital Invention: A Repository of Online Resources for College Composition Instruction. Xchanges Journal 10(2)/11(1).
- Stewart, Mary K. (2014). The Social Practice of Digital Literacy in the Internet Age: Mulitmodal Composition, Information, and Collaboration. Computers and Composition Online.
- Stewart, Mary K. (2014). Designing for Emergence: The Role of the Instructor in Student-Centered Learning. Hybrid Pedagogy.
- “Game Your Life: Motivating Physical Activity & Reflection on Physical Fitness,” Games, Learning, and Society, Madison, WI (July 9, 2015)
- “A Tale of Two Schools: Terrain and Resources in Virtual Games and Physical Communities” (poster, with Danielle Hagood). Games, Learning, and Society, Madison, WI (July 8, 2015)
- “Dual Identities as Digital Literacies: The Teacher and the Interface,” Computers & Writing, Menomonie, WI (May 31, 2015)
- “Making the Instructor Visible: A Grounded Theory Research Study of Instructional Design,” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Tampa, FL (March 20, 2015)
- “Taking Learning at Interface Value: Fostering Digital Literacies in Hybrid & Online FYC,” Computers & Writing, Pullman, WA (June 7, 2014)
- “Digital Literacy Across the Curriculum: A Faculty Survey,” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Indianapolis, IN (March 21, 2014)
- “Developing Online Writing Activities: Selecting Digital Tools & Designing Online Environments,” Northern California Writing Across the Curriculum Conference (January 24, 2013)
- “Functional Instruction for Multimodal Composition,” Computers & Writing, Frostburg, MD (June 8, 2013)
- “Learning and Writing in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs),” CCCC Research Network Forum, Las Vegas, NV (March 13, 2013)
- “Digital Invention” (poster). Interdisciplinary Graduate and Professional Student Symposium, UC Davis (April 26, 2012)
INVITED TALKS & FACULTY WORKSHOPS
- “Teaching Online” (with Jenae Cohn). University of San Francisco Faculty Workshop, San Francisco, CA (February 11, 2015)
- “EdTech Commons: An Online Resource and Community for Teaching with Technology” (with Jenae Cohn). Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Davis, CA (September 26, 2014).
- “Designing Online and Hybrid Courses” (with Jenae Cohn). Northern California-Nevada Council of Writing Program Administrators, Davis, CA (April 4, 2014)
- “Designing & Teaching Hybrid Courses: It’s All About Time Management,” Summer Institute for Teaching and Technology, Davis, CA (September 13, 2013)
UC Online & the University Writing Program, September 2011-present
PI: Carl Whithaus
Our team developed the curriculum and created course shells for hybrid and online versions of UC Davis’ first-year composition course. We are currently developing assessment strategies for the courses and program.
GetUp Project, March 2014 – present
PI: Cynthia Carter Ching
The GetUp Project is investigating the ways wearable technologies (i.e., FitBit) can motivate middle-school age children to be more healthy and active. In conjunction with a video game design company, this research team also looks at the motivational potential of playing a video games that draws data from the wearable technology.
UC Davis (September 2012-present)
UWP 1 (10-week face-to-face first-year composition course in a computer or traditional classroom)
UWP 1Y (10-week hybrid first-year composition course in computer classroom + Sakai)
UWP 1V (10-week fully online first-year composition course in Canvas)
UWP 101 (10-week face-to-face advanced composition course in a computer classroom)
Ashford University (October 2010-October 2011; July 2012-August 2012)
ENG 121 (5-week fully online first-year composition course in eCollege)
UC Davis (March-June 2014)
EDU 185: Learning in the Digital Age (10-week face-to-face in computer classroom)
Ashford University (November 2009-May 2010)
PSY 202: Adult Development & Life Assessment (5-week fully online in eCollege)
PHI 103: Informal Logic (5-week fully online in eCollege)
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT EXPERIENCE
Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, June 2014-September 2014
University of California-Davis (Davis, CA)
Supervisors: Dan Comins and Cara Harwood-Theisen
Based on faculty development literature and interviews with faculty development specialists at other institutions, Jenae Cohn and I are writing a report and creating the framework for a “faculty hub,” an online resource for faculty who want to learn more about hybrid and online teaching, and who want to connect with other faculty across the campus who are already involved with such projects.
Academic Technology Services, September 2011 – June 2014
University of California-Davis (Davis, CA)
Supervisor: Andy Jones
I wrote Davis’ instructional technology blog, The Wheel, helped organize bi-monthly faculty meetings about teaching with technology, and participated in many cross-campus initiatives to support educational technology at UC Davis.
Content Specialist, May 2010 – August 2011
Bridgepoint Education, Inc. (San Diego, CA)
Reviewed, updated, and maintained public-facing websites for correct content and language use. Conducted interviews and wrote student success stories, faculty spotlights, and employee testimonials. Edited and formatted monthly online diversity articles. Editor of semi-annual print and online alumni magazine.
Curriculum Coordinator, June 2009 – May 2010
University of the Rockies (San Diego, CA)
Built and maintained courses in Blackboard and eCollege.
- Co-Chair of Writing, Rhetoric, and Composition Studies Designated Emphasis Research Group, UC Davis (September 2014-June 2015)
- Steering Committee for LMS Transition Initiative at UC Davis (April 2013-June 2014)
- Graduate Student Representative to the Campus Council for Informational Technology (Educational Technology Subcommittee), UC Davis (March 2011-June 2014)
- Co-Chair and Language, Learning, and Culture Representative on School of Education Graduate Student Association, UC Davis (November 2012 – December 2013)
- Planning Committee for 2013 UC Writing Program Conference at UC Davis (November 2012 – October 2013)
- Review Committee for Provost Hybrid Course Award, UC Davis (Jan 2012-March 2012; January 2013-March 2013)