My research contributes to the fields of writing studies and online education, and focuses on issues related to instructional design and community building in technology-mediated writing courses.
Stewart, Mary K. (2017). Communities of Inquiry: A Heuristic for Designing and Assessing Interactive Learning in Technology-Mediated FYC. Computers and Composition 45, 67-84.
Stewart, Mary K., Hagood, Danielle, & Carter Ching, Cynthia. (2017). Virtual Games and Real-World Communities: Environments that Constrain and Enable Physical Activity in Games for Health. International Journal of Game-Based Learning 7(1), 1-19.
Ching, Cynthia Carter, Stewart, Mary K., Hagood, Danielle, Rashadi, Roxanne Nasim. (2016). Representing and Reconciling Personal Data and Experience in a Wearable Technology Gaming Project. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies 9(4), 342-353.
Stewart, Mary K., Cohn, Jenae, & Whithaus, Carl. (2016). Collaborative Course Design and Communities of Practice: Strategies for Shared Course Shells in Hybrid and Online Writing Instruction. Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal 9(1), 1-21.
Cohn, Jenae, Stewart, Mary K., Comins, Dan, & Harwood-Theisen, Cara. (2016). Creating Online Community: A Response to the Needs of 21st Century Faculty Development. Journal of Faculty Development 30(2), 47-57.
Cohn, Jenae & Stewart, Mary K. (2016). Responding to Students’ Low-Stakes Reflective Writing: Ensuring Validity for Metacognition as a Learning Outcome. Journal of Response to Writing 2(1), 58-74.
Stewart, Mary K. (2015). Digital Invention: A Repository of Online Resources for College Composition Instruction. Xchanges Journal 10(2)/11(1).
Stewart, Mary K. (2014). The Social Practice of Digital Literacy in the Internet Age: Mulitmodal Composition, Information, and Collaboration. Computers and Composition Online.
Stewart, Mary K. (2014). Designing for Emergence: The Role of the Instructor in Student-Centered Learning. Hybrid Pedagogy.
- “Communities of Inquiry: A Heuristic for Designing and Assessing Collaborative Learning in Online Writing Instruction,” Computers & Writing, Findlay, OH (June 2, 2017)
- “Designing Effective Activities for Interactive Learning in Technology-Mediated FYC: Cooperation, Coordination, & Collaboration,” CCCC, Portland, OR (March 16, 2017)
- “Career Pathways Workshop for Rhet/Comp Graduates,” CCCC, Portland, OR (March 15, 2017)
- “The Contingent Labor of Online Course Delivery: Course Shells and Instructor Agency,” Computers & Writing, Rochester, NY (May 21, 2016)
- “Challenges of and Strategies for Building Community in Online FYC,” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Houston, TX (April 9, 2016)
- “Developing Sustainable Hybrid and Online First Year Composition Courses,” Conference of the Council of Writing Program Administrators, Boise, ID (July 17, 2015)
- “Game Your Life: Motivating Physical Activity & Reflection on Physical Fitness,” Games, Learning, and Society, Madison, WI (July 9, 2015)
- “A Tale of Two Schools: Terrain and Resources in Virtual Games and Physical Communities” (poster, with Danielle Hagood). Games, Learning, and Society, Madison, WI (July 8, 2015)
- “Dual Identities as Digital Literacies: The Teacher and the Interface,” Computers & Writing, Menomonie, WI (May 31, 2015)
- “Making the Instructor Visible: A Grounded Theory Research Study of Instructional Design,” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Tampa, FL (March 20, 2015)
- “Taking Learning at Interface Value: Fostering Digital Literacies in Hybrid & Online FYC,” Computers & Writing, Pullman, WA (June 7, 2014)
- “Digital Literacy Across the Curriculum: A Faculty Survey,” Conference on College Composition and Communication, Indianapolis, IN (March 21, 2014)
- “Developing Online Writing Activities: Selecting Digital Tools & Designing Online Environments,” Northern California Writing Across the Curriculum Conference (January 24, 2013)
- “Functional Instruction for Multimodal Composition,” Computers & Writing, Frostburg, MD (June 8, 2013)
- “Learning and Writing in Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs),” CCCC Research Network Forum, Las Vegas, NV (March 13, 2013)
- “Digital Invention” (poster). Interdisciplinary Graduate and Professional Student Symposium, UC Davis (April 26, 2012)
INVITED TALKS & FACULTY WORKSHOPS
- “Teaching Online” (with Jenae Cohn). University of San Francisco Faculty Workshop, San Francisco, CA (February 11, 2015)
- “EdTech Commons: An Online Resource and Community for Teaching with Technology” (with Jenae Cohn). Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Davis, CA (September 26, 2014).
- “Designing Online and Hybrid Courses” (with Jenae Cohn). Northern California-Nevada Council of Writing Program Administrators, Davis, CA (April 4, 2014)
- “Designing & Teaching Hybrid Courses: It’s All About Time Management,” Summer Institute for Teaching and Technology, Davis, CA (September 13, 2013)